Re: sulfur smell hot water
Posted by Alex on January 24, 2004 at 21:19:20:
In response to Re: sulfur smell hot water
: We have sulfur water coming from our 400' deep well (so do all the neighbors) We use chlorine injection and 2 large storage tanks to neutralize the smell. Then the water goes through a carbon filter to remove excess chlorine, then a water softener. My problem is we still have a bit of a sulfur smell in our hot water. Occasionally the bleach runs out, and sulfur water goes into the pipes. I thought maybe sulfur bacteria go into our hot water tank and were living there. So we turned the tank temp up to 140 for 1 day, then drained the tank. Then I bypassed the carbon filter and let chlorinated water fill the tank and ran the water through all faucets on the hot and cold side. Then we waited about 8-9 hours then redrained the tank and turned the carbon filter back on and flushed all the lines. The hot water seemed much better for a few days, now it has a slight sulfur smell again. The carbon filter did its weekly backwash sometime during those few days.(I don't know if that has anything to do with it) Any ideas why we would have this chronic mild sulfur smell in our hot water? By the way we did remove the anode a long time ago, but hasn't seemed to make any difference. One other thing-after we drained and refilled hot water tank, black water came out of the faucets when they were first turned on. It quickly cleared up.
: Thanks in advance for any help.

REPLY: Your hot water tank still has a large build up of sulphur deposits clinging to the walls and electrods. Adding clorine to the tank will kill a large amount of the smelling bacteria but you will never get rid of them all. The only option would be to replace the tank and make sure you keep an eye on you clorine level in the tank so you don't run out. To my knowedge, there is no way to full clean the inside of the hot water tank.

Alex

Replies to this post
There are none.