Re: American Standard Compact Toilet Install problem
Posted by Brad G on January 24, 2004 at 17:43:51:
In response to Re: American Standard Compact Toilet Install problem
How can I tell the difference?

To answer the other question, the old toilets had the following marks: R7030 on the toilet and R7240 on the tank. No manufacturer markings though. They were the original toilets from 1978, they didn't have the float-ball, they just had a little valve in the bottom that said "Hush" something or other. In any case, the old toilets were real bad, getting clogged, and the one I replaced was cracked.

: If your tank has the AS "Smart Valve" rather than the Fluidmaster they are using now, then that is probably the problem.

: : Follow up:
: : I turned down the water supply wall valve pressure as was mentioned, and that looks to have cured the problem. I think it is rediculous to have to do that, why doesn't the toilet have an internal water pressure limiter?? If anyone touches the wall valve now, its going to spray again. (This is a rental property by the way)Also, the fill valve on this toilet looks like cheap plastic garbage. Are all toilet fill valves like this these days? Or is American Standard "Sub-Standard"? I am still going to call them on Monday. This wasted so much of my time and water! I think a brand new toilet would work right out of the box!
: : : : I bought an American Standard Compact Elongated bowl toilet from Home Depot because it was on the list of the best flushers.
: : : : I hooked up the water line, and the tank (not the bowl) kept filling, and filling, and filling. Over the overflow tube. So I adjusted the fill level screw until it was OK.
: : : : BUT! Then water was spraying everywhere out of the fill valve up out of the tank, on to the wall and the floor!!
: : : : I tried every adjustment there was for 2 hours and about 50 flushes and couldn't get it to not spray. I tried the water level, water fill rate, and float ball arm adjustment, it always sprayed water right towards the end of filling the tank. Also the tube from the valve into the overflow tube is fine, not kinked or anything.
: : : : So, I took the tank back to home depot figuring it was a defect. Got the new one home, installed it, and the same thing all over again!
: : : : Are these toilets just junk, or is my water pressure too high, or am I adjusting it wrong?
: : : : I am going to call American Standard on Monday to get this figured out, but if anyone can help me this weekend it would be much appreciated! Please email me at bradnrenee@hotmail.com
: : : : Thanks!
: : : If, by chance the water pressure IS too high, try cutting off some of the water volume to the toilet at the wall valve, and see if that helps.Good luck, Hube

Replies to this post