Re: Responsibility for stuck auger
Posted by hj on January 24, 2004 at 17:06:41:
In response to Re: Responsibility for stuck auger
In addition, I once had a customer who called another plumber, (a fairly large local company), to snake their sink drain on the week end. His auger went into the main drain and became tangled in some roots and he could not extract it. He told them that they either had to get his snake out or he would charge them for it. Now that was not the customer's fault, and when I removed his snake, I left it in the yard all twisted up just as it came from the sewer.

: I recently had a plumber come out and auger my sewer line for preventive maintenance. I had not been experiencing any problems, but have had problems with roots in the past, so I try to get it done once every year or two. The plumber got his auger stuck and has charged me over $1300 to dig up the sewer line, remove his auger and replace a piece of the line. The sewer line was orangeburg pipe and the plumber has told me that it was colapsed and he has no liability. Other plumbers have told me that he probably blew a hole in the line with his auger and should be responsible for everything above and beyond his normal charge. There was no existing clog and I never signed anything. This was the third time in 5 years I've used the same plumber and he never warned me that there could be a problem with the old pipes. Any comments?

Replies to this post
There are none.