Re: Can I drain Urinal into clean out on stack?
Posted by ED on January 23, 2004 at 21:20:34:
In response to Re: Can I drain Urinal into clean out on stack?
Do you want a conversation piece or something that is (more) functional?

Not trying to be sarcastic, but take a poll of plumbers and ask them how many times they have seen urinals in a regular home? You may find that they still have all their fingers down.

Installing a toilet has far more resale value in a home than a urinal ever would. If you already have that basement toilet, what's wrong with using that? That urinal may detract from the value, actually, as women buyers who might be looking at your home, would view that "man's" fixture to be another burden as far as cleaning is concerned and not necessary!

By the way, urinals are also more difficult to keep smelling nice and pretty, ask a custodian!
That would also be a turn-off to the lady of the household. Puddles tend to accumulate around them (on the floor) too even among the best(intentions) of men. It's bad enough to clean a toilet seat as it is, let alone more?

I would encourage you to think twice about your idea. Invest that money in something else, like a beer tap! It doesn't require a vent and a special sized line and flushvalve. Just kidding.

: : : I'd like to put a urinal in my basement for occasional use. It seems to me that the easiest way to do this would be to run the drain line into the clean out on the waste stack. This is a fully accessible area and so if I ever need to use the clean out to actually snake the system I can just uncouple the urinal piping and snake away...any reason I can't do this?

: : : Thanks
: : There are several reasons that this will not work. Number one is venting, number two is that you cannot get a fitting that will match the cleanout threads, and number three is the water supply. They generally require a flushometer, which requires a 3/4" water line. Some of them require carriers that are installed in the wall prior to wall covering being put up.
: : Deb
: : The Pipewench

: Thanks Deb---I think I can overcome the water line and the vent....I have a 3/4 line and can't I use those Oates valves? As far as the threads...couldn't I take a PVC threaded plug, cut a 2" hole in it, and use that as the connection point? Thanks

Replies to this post