Re: Shower remodel, insulation question?
Posted by PW on January 23, 2004 at 15:16:32:
In response to Re: Shower remodel, insulation question?
Lynn,

Have a simular problem as you, ranch house on a slab but ALL the walls including interior are block plastered.

You may want to start with seeing how much insulation is or is not in your outside walls. You can always increase the outside walls around the shower to 2x6 which will give you more insulation. Radiant heat is another thought. In my case I elected to go with a custom corian shower pan with a honeycomb substrate which provides some degree of insulation, in place of a tile mud bed which provides for very cold feet!

: Our master bath is located on the northwest side of our brick home which is built on a slab. Our 3'.5" X 5' tiled shower stall is on the corner of the house. It's very COLD in the winter!!!!! I am planning to remodel the 10'L X 5'W room. Our house was built in 1970. All the plumbing fixtures are on the interior wall that backs up to a 10 x 13 bedroom. We are going to take about 2 or 3 ft of the bedroom. I have played around with a couple of ideas on the layout. Since there are 2 exterior walls to this shower, is there any way to insulate the shower stall? We will be gutting the room and will have it down to the studs. I have considered the angled shower as a change. Not sure if I should consider the east corner, which will only have 1 exterior wall to make it cold. May be to much to have to move the toilet, though, so may be stuck with the same position. I also want to add a stream generator. Any suggestions?

Replies to this post
There are none.