Re: Interesting discovery during bath remodel
Posted by hj on January 21, 2004 at 23:13:15:
In response to Re: Interesting discovery during bath remodel
Sawdust packed in the wall for insulation. It stayed in place until a single tap on the wall brought it all falling down. You would not believe how much sawdust it takes to fill a wall.

: Just thought I'd share an interesting discovery we made during our bath remodel. We were adding a new, larger door to the bath from the master bedroom. In the process, I had to remove a few studs and an old medicine cabinet. When we took the medicine cabinet off the wall, we discovered several hundred used razor blades.

: It turns out that the medicine cabinet had a slot inside of it for disposing of old razor blades. So the previous owners of this house would just shove the used blades in the slot. I wonder if they ever thought about where they were going. Did they think the Gillette company came by and collected them periodically? Thankfully, I was wearing thick gloves, so I collected all of the blades, and we put them in Styrofoam cups, taped the tops up, bagged the cups in grocery bags, and then put those in contractor garbage bags.

: I've been in a lot of older hotels that have those "razor disposal" slots in the bathroom walls. I guess the razors just go right into the wall cavity. Kind of scary if you turn out the be the person doing a renovation or a demo!

: Anyway, just thought I'd share and was curious as to what other strange things people have found during bathroom renovations.

Replies to this post
There are none.