Smell in house - with possibility sanitary sewer stack on the roof is plugged?
Posted by Matt on January 21, 2004 at 15:46:31:
I live in a Ranch-style home built in 1956. I�ve had a smell coming from the basement in the laundry room. It is a gassy odor, but not the kind that comes from sewage. It is particularly strong near the clothes washer. I've poured lots of water and bleach in the drains but the smell is back. Could it be that the sanitary sewer stack on the roof is plugged? I've heard of hardware stores (haven't started looking yet) selling for ten bucks or so a bladder (appropriately enough :-) attachment that you can put on a garden hose; when you run water it puffs up to form a seal against the vent pipe and then creates a high-pressure pulsing jet of water to attempt to clear clogs. Also, read that 12 ounces of this copper sulfate crystals mixed with 1 gallon of hot water, and then pour it down the drain slowly. Let it stand two hours, then flush with 5 gallons of cold water. The smell will be gone for good. Do I call Mr. Rooter or another drain-cleaning company and tell them to have the sanitary sewer stack snaked out? What should I do?

Replies to this post
There are none.