Re: bathroom vanity
Posted by ED on January 19, 2004 at 18:23:08:
In response to Re: bathroom vanity
We are assuming you mean "exhaust fan" when you say vent? If you have no window, you will need to install one to be code-compliant.

If you are referring to a "plumbing vent" which is a pipe that equalizes pressure (for properdrainage) and allows sewer gas fumes to escape, that, too, is mandatory, or a code-approved substitute like an air admittance valve, but these are not approved for use in all areas.

Do you have another bath on the second floor? You mention a master bath. Usually most "MASTER" baths built these days will have two sinks. People these days are looking for flexibility and convenience. An extra sink usually scores more points than a linen closet sacrificed for a sink.

It's far easier to add a linen closet and a lot less expensive after-the-fact than a sink.

: I am in the middle of a complete remodel of a second story master bathroom in a fifty year-old rowhouse that does NOT have venting or a window.

: Many, or all, of the vanities that I have seen in home showrooms are very typical and conservative. I would like a simple wood vanity that reflects japanese styling. I have also searched many unfinished wood furniture sites and do not find any bathroom furniture for sale.

: What are the prose and cons of having one custom made and is this recommended or should I compromise for a cabinet that has been premanufactured for bathrooms in mind?

: Lastly, do any of the experts out there have any opinion aboiut what would be a better choice for resale purposes? 1): a 48" vanity and a 18" linen closet or 2): a 60" vanity with double bowl sinks?

: Looking forward to your feedback...

Replies to this post
There are none.