Re: Cast iron horizontal sewer pipe.
Posted by Doug on January 15, 2004 at 06:24:05:
In response to Re: Cast iron horizontal sewer pipe.

The sink and dishwasher come together in the wall, into a 2inch pipe that drops down to the crawlspace. It then turns 90 degrees and heads under the floor until it gets above the main sewer line (about 6-8 feet), where it turns 90 degress straight down to the main sewer line which is buried under the dirt so I can't see the connection. I presume it is a T connection. There is a hole in the pipe about 2/3 of the way across.

I was thinking I would cut just above the 90 degree elbow coming down from the wall, and about a foot above the ground on the piece that comes up from the ground, and replace that with PVC and combinations of dual 45 degree elbows at either end to get the slope I need.

What would I have to do differently to do it right?

: You are going to want to slope that horizontal pipe at 1/4 inch per foot. Then when you get to the stack it's best to create a sweeping motion with elbow fittings that run into the stack.

: Does this kitchen drain run into the stack using a wye connector or a tee? Running a drain pipe at a large slant avoiding appropriate elbow fittings, etc, is not code.

: :
: : Hey, funny thing, I have the same problem. My house was built in 1957. Last year we remodeled the back of the house, and they ended up replacing much of the cast iron with PVC. The kitchen drains go horizontal under the floor for about 8 feet, then turns 90 degrees to meet the undergound main sewer line. It is still cast iron.

: : I am thinking of cutting the cast iron and using the rubber couplers that Ed mentioned to bring in the new PVC.

: : I have a question for Ed, though. The horizontal part is about 8 feet. Should I make it so that there is a slant? Or should I just use 2 90 degree elbows like it is now?

: : Doug

Replies to this post