Re: connect galvanized and copper pipe
Posted by CEA on January 10, 2004 at 14:17:56:
In response to Re: connect galvanized and copper pipe
You can use a dielectric union where the copper and galvanized pipes meet. This has a female thread for the galvanized, and a female sweat fitting for the copper. The union electrically insulates the copper from the steel to prevent electrolysis. You should install a bonding jumper across the union (typically a grounding clamp on each side with #6 copper in between) to maintain an electrical ground across the fitting, like you do across a water meter.

Some plumbers prefer to use a brass converter fitting or a 6" brass nipple instead of a dielectric union, to avoid grounding issues and potential leakage at the union; others argue that in some cases brass can corrode steel through galvanic action so the dielectric union is better.

Whichever approach you use, code may require that the connection be in an exposed location (not inside a wall). Check with your local inspector.

Replies to this post
There are none.