Re: bathroom soffit
Posted by hj on January 06, 2004 at 08:15:21:
In response to Re: bathroom soffit
Yes, it melts easy for caulking joints, (after you remove the solder joints from it). There were thousands, (at least), drum traps installed with steel pipe. I put a lot of them in and never used lead pipes for any of them.

: : I am currently remodeling a 7' x 9' master bathroom and have gotten down to the joists and studs.

: : I have a 5'soffit above the tub area that I would like to remove. The soffit does not hold any electrical or plumbing lines and appears strictly cosmetic.

: : Please let me know what the purpose of this popular structure was and what relevance it serves today. What would the pros and cons be of removal?

: I would get rid of the soffit over the tub.
: I've seen plenty of them, they use up head room and tend to rot over the tub.

: : I also have a bathtub clean-out trap that is rather large and is capped at the tile level by a shiny 4" cover. I have been told that it is installed using lead fittings and would take quite a bit of labor to remove and replace beneath the sub-floor. Please provide any insight on this and why it should or should not be removed ad what would truly be involved.

: Someone else may know more here, what you are seeing is a "drum" trap.
: If it's doable, I would remove it. However, if it's installed using lead pipe, it may be more than you are looking to do.
: Hey! Someone out there good with lead?

Replies to this post
There are none.