Re: Q: Small tube coming off wash-tub tap?
Posted by Chris Bonthron on January 02, 2004 at 22:14:06:
In response to Re: Q: Small tube coming off wash-tub tap?
: : The house we just purchased and moved into (5 years old) has small clear 1/8" ID tube tapped into the wash basin taps in our laundry room. It's attached to the fixture after the cold water valve and it runs down by the drain and terminates somewhere behind the drywall. I blocked off the main faucet on the fixture and turned the tap to a slow trickle and I could hear water draining in the floor drain, so obviously it terminates in a drain pipe

: : Could someone please explain what this would be for? I've never seen this before.

: : TIA

: This is a trap primer for your floor drain. On seldom used drains, the p-trap can evaporate dry and allow sewer gas to enter the home. With the trap primer, every time you use the sink, water is directed to the floor drain to keep the trap seal. In most places, trap primers are required on floor drains.
: Deb
: The Pipewench

Thanks Deb, I suspected that it was for something like that.

What doesn't make sense to me though is that the sink that has the taps with the trap primer currently drains into the same floor drain which seems to make this trap primer unnecessary, no?

Replies to this post
There are none.