Re: Durock in Shower Installation
Posted by Greg on December 30, 2003 at 11:00:51:
In response to Re: Durock in Shower Installation
Heather,

Your concerns sound valid. Did your friend say why he recommends two layers of 1/2" durock? One layer is all that is needed, installed per manufacturer's directions. You could even call or email the manufacturer to ask them about installing two layers; I'm curious to hear their response.

I can't imagine not using reinforcing wire for your mortar bed - I think going without it is asking for trouble. You could check out www.ceramic-tile.com and if you can't find an answer in their archives, post a question; I trust their advice as I do Terry's (and other's) here. (Thanks Terry!). Good Luck and please let us know what you find. Greg

: HI,
: I'm doing a bathroom remodel and am currently focusing on building the shower. I plan to do a mortar bed for the floor and use durock for the walls. I have a friend who does this for a living and he has recommended two layers of 1/2" Durock for the walls - is this necessary or is one sufficient?

: Also, for the mortar floor and floated curb, he indicates that he would never use any type of wire mesh for reinforcement. His arguement: the wire mesh could potentially damage the CPE pan. This goes against everything I've been reading in mortar bed construction. Can you please advise?

: Thanks,
: Heather

Replies to this post
There are none.