Re: Water Pressure Reducer Replacement
Posted by e-plumber on December 30, 2003 at 09:42:09:
In response to Re: Water Pressure Reducer Replacement
: : : My water pressure reducer has evidently failed. I get water squirting out of the relief valve of the water heater early in the morning and in the afternoons. I put a gauge on a faucet and it read 175PSI this morning at 6:00AM. This reducer has been on less than four years. The water company says we have up to 230 PSI on the public lines here.

: : : What type of reducer should I buy. Is there an industrial grade that will handle reducing from over 200 pounds down to 50 or 60? Should I put in two? If so, specifically what make and model? I have found that most of the advice I get at the building supply houses is not very dependable so I thought I would inquire here. Thanks.

: : Reply:
: : The need for a operational thermal expansion tank on a system with 175 lbs. incoming pressure is mandatory, even if the PRV has a built in by-pass.
: : Watts model U5B pressure regulator handles up to 300 PSI. incoming pressure, the range is 25 - 75 PSI. It also has a removable strainer for cleaning purposes.
: : Good Luck. e-plumber

: Post Message: I put in a Watts N250B today and the pressure seems to be holding at 75PSI. Is this too high? Do I need to install a second reducer or can I actually adjust the N250B down to about 55PSI. I have heard you should not try to adjust them?? I put in a thermal expansion tank a couple of years ago. The screwy thing is my nighbors do not seem to have the problems I have??

The PRV is adjustable, you will need a pressure gauge to adjust it accurately. You can bring it down to about 55-60 lbs. and you most likely will not notice the decrease in pressure.
Good Luck & Happy New Year. e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.