Re: Water Pressure Reducer Replacement
Posted by e-plumber on December 28, 2003 at 15:26:13:
In response to Re: Water Pressure Reducer Replacement

: My water pressure reducer has evidently failed. I get water squirting out of the relief valve of the water heater early in the morning and in the afternoons. I put a gauge on a faucet and it read 175PSI this morning at 6:00AM. This reducer has been on less than four years. The water company says we have up to 230 PSI on the public lines here.

: What type of reducer should I buy. Is there an industrial grade that will handle reducing from over 200 pounds down to 50 or 60? Should I put in two? If so, specifically what make and model? I have found that most of the advice I get at the building supply houses is not very dependable so I thought I would inquire here. Thanks.

The need for a operational thermal expansion tank on a system with 175 lbs. incoming pressure is mandatory, even if the PRV has a built in by-pass.
Watts model U5B pressure regulator handles up to 300 PSI. incoming pressure, the range is 25 - 75 PSI. It also has a removable strainer for cleaning purposes.
Good Luck. e-plumber

Replies to this post