Re: Well system water pressure falling off
Posted by Jeff Fowler on December 24, 2003 at 01:38:31:
In response to Re: Well system water pressure falling off
Thanks for the response, Gary.

My problem is that my pressure drops off to a heavy trickle and takes a long time to come back up.

I went through every post for the month of December and into November, but never saw anything about going too big. Based on the size of the old tank, I was wondering if I didn't go too small (I have pictures available).

By the way, the pump cut-in pressure is 48. The pressure inside the tank was brought up to 46 before filled with water (the tank was precharged to 40 psi). Isn't that correct?

: : I have spent a lot of time reading postings to this website, but have not found an exact answer for the problem I'm having. Hopefully someone can help.

: : Recently I replaced my old galvanized pressure tank with a new 82 gallon Flotec FP7120. I used the same pressure switch and left the settings as they were (48 on, 74 off). After calling Flotec customer service to verify, I added 6 psi to the empty but pre-charged tank to bring it up to 46 psi.

: : Before the old tank went bad, we had no problems with water pressure, but now experience the water pressure falling off to not much more than a trickle without recovering (or taking a very, very long time to recover).

: : The pump is not cycling frequently and is kicking on and off at the same settings is has since we moved in, in July.

: : Do I need to adjust the pressure settings with this new tank? Or does this have something to do with downdraw (which I don't really understand)? Is this a capacity problem?

: : Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

: I dont understand what the problem is. The pressure will fall to the cut-in pressure setting on the switch, which 46 is LESS than 48 but you added air? How's that work, my gauge wouldn't do that...

: So state the problem without the rest of the verbage, and we'll have another go at it. And what drawdown are you talking about; pressure tank or well? I'd be concerned about the well drawdown and a pump that can't handle it/that. The tank drawdown doesn't effect pressure perse, although the pressure falls to the cut-in setting. It sounds as if ya got bit by the bigger tank is better folks and no one looked to see what effect that would have on the pump and/or well.... Didn't you read, or is it believe, me saying here numerous times, that you can go too big?

: Gary
: Quality Water Associates

Replies to this post