Re: replacing kitchen sink "stubout?"
Posted by e-plumber on December 23, 2003 at 18:05:27:
In response to Re: replacing kitchen sink "stubout?"
: My wife insists on running the garbage disposal when the sink is full of warm water. This apparently has put a lot of water pressure on the joints which twice now have separated enough around the trap to create a mess under the sink. In my last repair job I put too much torque on the flimsy metal end of the stubout and it has developed a hairline crack. I am wondering if I just cut my way back to the good part or tackle what looks like a massive soldering job where the flimsy kitchen metal pipe connects to the heavy duty pipe in the wall?

Reply:
From here it is hard to advise you on exactly what should be replaced under the kitchen sink. If you have joints popping when a load of water is dropped, it usually indicates that the piping is not installed properly, (fully inserted into fittings, loose connections, etc.
Here are some do's & don'ts for disposer units, the full load of warm water is not necessary.

Do's

Grind food waste with moderate flow of cold water.
Grind peelings from citrus fruits to freshen up your drain.
Flush disposal to allow for cleaning allow disposal and water to run after grinding or dumping dish water.
Use a disposal cleaner or degreaser or deodorizer as needed.

Don'ts

Do not use hot water when grinding food waste.
Do not turn off the motor or the water until the grinding is completed.
Do not grind fibrous material like corn husks, artichokes, onion skins, celery. They can easily block the drain.
Never overload the grinding chamber as this can overload the motor and cause it to stop or burn out.

Good luck & Happy Holidays. e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.