Re: Washer Installation - no existing plumbing- is it DIY-able?
Posted by Deb on December 23, 2003 at 11:44:34:
In response to Re: Washer Installation - no existing plumbing- is it DIY-able?
: We've just bought a house (built 1957). it has never had a washing machine installed (prev owners used it as a vacation home). How difficult is it to install the necessary plumbing? Is it something a reasonably adept DIYer could attempt, given the right tools and some good written instructions?

: We are planning to site the machine in the basement, on the wall adjacent to the main waste pipe.
: It will be about 6 feet away from the waste pipe, will therefore require some pipes to be run from washer to waste - we do have enough height to be able to gravity run the waste from washer to waste.

: The water supply pipes are overhead from washer - would have to run pipes down and install the faucets on the wall behind.

: we have been quoted over $1800 for a plumber to install the washer plus a dishwasher - this seems like daylight robbery to me. neither of these appliances are in a very complex location - i.e. we have cut out the cabinets in the kitchen already, and the dishwasher will go right next to the sink.

: any advice welcome. thanks.

I would encourage you to get another estimate. If it is equally high, assume that there is a reason for it to be this high, like a very difficult install. There is way more to this than running a line for the washer and dishwasher to dump into. You need a vent for the washer plumbing that will need to go through the roof by itself or join with another vent.
Deb
The Pipewench

Replies to this post
There are none.