Re: Dryer Vent Condensation
Posted by hj on December 16, 2003 at 07:40:33:
In response to Re: Dryer Vent Condensation
The problem is not the roof vent. It is the warm moist air moving through that 7 feet of pipe exposed to the cold air in the attic. The only two ways to minimize, (not prevent entirely), the condensation is to either move the air faster which may affect the dryer's operation, or insulate that section of piping.

: Question: Is there a roof vent design to minimize/eliminate dryer vent condensation during cold weather?

: Background: The last 5-7 feet of my dryer venting goes through unheated airspace in my ceiling where it finally exits at the roof vent. Condensation within the venting is causing water to drip at the 90 degree elbow about 3 foot below the roof vent. The water drippng can be heard for awhile, but stops after about 15-20 minutes of dryer time. I removed a light fixture nearby to verify that the drips occur from the lower elbow seam. I placed some foil/rubber seal tape along the bottom half of the seam since that's as far as I could reach. The drips still occur. The vent cap on the roof is of a standard design: about 12 inches in diameter having a ^ shape, but flatter. The dryer venting was recently cleaned by a chimney sweep. He removed a lot a lint. Most of it was damp which had clogged the venting. He also said it could take a few days/dryer cycles to remove ant remaining moisture in the venting. Thanks for your advice. Dan

Replies to this post
There are none.