Re: Grohe handheld connected with teflon tape?
Posted by lilleth on December 11, 2003 at 09:37:34:
In response to Re: Grohe handheld connected with teflon tape?
: : on our Grohe handheld shower, that was just installed but not yet used, I just noticed that there is some kind of white plastic joint the plumber put in between the elbow and the shower arm. I didn't notice that in the showroom. I wonder if they have rigged something because something didn't fit right. the bath sales consultant says " You have to use teflon tape to install any shower arm in order to get a tight fit so it doesn't leak. That is probably all that is. " It doesn't look so lovely. can I paint it or cover it someway?

: lilleth,
: Tapered threads use thread sealant, which Teflon tape is a form of.
: However, if you have straight cut threads, that is not the case.
: Grohe flex hose for the hand-held showers use straight threads and a rubber washer for sealing.

: That is easy to check too if the connector is a hand threaded nut.
: Just remove it and look.
: In this case, you would be lucky if the Teflon tape didn't cause a leak.
: I remove a lot of Teflon tape from leaking fittings that hack plumbers and handymen have improperly installed.

Thanks Terry Love. Hmmm, I don't think our plumber is a hack, but he has done a few odd things around our house during extensive work and a bath addition. This Grohe handheld is in the new bathroom, so we haven't used it yet. I'm concerned about the look. We paid for expensive brass finish and I think this looks cheap. I will ask the plumber what the deal is. thanks!

Replies to this post
There are none.