Re: Pressure test drain pipe
Posted by e-plumber on December 08, 2003 at 18:06:50:
In response to Re: Pressure test drain pipe
: : : I roughed out a sink drain in my basement. It drains into under-slab pipes that I've tested with water.

: : : The sink drain connects to a vertical 2" pipe that is a wet vent for the system. How can I test that the fittings for the sink drain are not leaking? The drain is 16" above the floor and the toilet pipe and shower pipe are much lower than that. How do I plug and test? Do I glue a knock-out plug on the shower drain and toilet pipes? Or is there something temporary. Also, I have an air compressor to use if that easier and less messy to use than water.

: : There are temporary plugs you can buy that are fairly inexpensive. There are rubber caps that tighten with a hose clamp or plugs that go inside the pipe and tighten with a wing nut. I usually use air to test a system--5 or 6lbs--don't overfill.
: : Deb
: : The Pipewench

: When using air, what it the best way to determine if the pipes are leaking -- soapy water like a tire? Will it be easy to tell if there are leaks?

Reply:
If you have a gauge hooked up during the air test, you will not need to check the joints for leaks if the test holds. If you do have leaks, use a soapy solution (diswashing detergent) in a spray bottle to check the joints.
Good Luck. e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.