Re: Leaking Steam Radiator Pipes
Posted by glenn jones on December 03, 2003 at 12:35:46:
In response to Re: Leaking Steam Radiator Pipes
: The pipes should not be leaking, but since we cannot see the system, we cannot tell you how to fix the problem. You need someone versed in steam heating to fix the leaks and also check to see if the system is operating properly.

: : My steam radiator pipes are leaking...not at the radiators themselves but before that, where the pipes have a joint to turn up and a steam valve. The leaks are so bad that I've had to use buckets to catch the water in my basement. I've talked to 2 heating companies..they've both said that there's probably just too much water in the system and there's nothing that can be done. I asked during the annual maintenance and cleaning, 2 months ago. I make sure the level in the tube is at or under the level indicator, and have been leaving it lower. I have to check the level every 2 or so days or auto shutoff kicks in because of water loss. I've also tried to tighten the joints, but they seem tight. The leaks stop when the system is not generating heat. I don't know much about the system--is there a more intelligent way to explain this to someone so they take me seriously? Is this something that happens with time and I have to let it go or replace the system?

Replies to this post
There are none.