Re: kohlet basin faucet
Posted by e-plumber on December 03, 2003 at 07:23:19:
In response to Re: kohlet basin faucet
: trying to remove stem/carterage on kohler basin faucet perhaps its a Alterena with a cressent spout

: its a few years old(7-8) is top of the line, chrome and brass. round knobs, chrome with brass inserts on sides, looks like doughnuts stacked up, top of knob (chrome again)lifts off to expose screw that holds handle on stem. get handle off and there i am stopped

: brass nut that apperantly holds stem in is smallish compared to other stems i have seen. i try undo it but the whole assembly seems to want to spin even though i tighten down the estuchion to the marble top best i could without breaking anything

: under the sink its one of them faucets that hooks up with hoses to the spigot part, not a solid body

: my question is to get to the carterage or washer(dont know what is in there yet as i cant crack it) am i correct in attempting to loosen that nut at bottom of handle stem?

: any tips on cracking this thing? heat? wd40? strap wrench? i cant hold the body as its threaded top to bottom and would just butcher it with a channel lock

: the problem is a slow drip and i want to fix. should i strap wrench it and use more force? i think its this one http://www.serviceparts.kohler.com/Pdfs/087663_8.pdf

: any help is deeply thanked

: dino

Reply:
heat? wd40? strap wrench? will not work.
WD-40 may help. You need to hold the complete stem assembly solid while loosening the nut that holds the stem in.
If it is very loose passing through the marble, tighten it from underneath first.
If you can grab it and hold from the top firmly with channel lock pliers, the nut should unscrew with steady force applied. Don't let the channel lock grip slip.
Occaisionally, the stem needs to be removed from the basin to perform the repair.
Good Luck. e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.