Re: A quetion about pex plumbing
Posted by Deb on July 30, 2003 at 20:22:54:
In response to Re: A quetion about pex plumbing
: I live in a modular home. ( ) The plumbing is pex style but I don't know which style. I am getting ready to do remodeling (adding a bathroom in the basement and would like to have my outdoor faucets bypass the water softener. I don't know which style of PEX I have, how do I tell? With the crimping tools costing over $100 I don't want to buy one that isn't compatable with the rest of the house.

: I did a search here and found thousands of posts about PEX with this thread being the only one in regaurds to the compatibility of the crimping tools however the response was "I think" they are complatable. I am hoping to find someone who can tell me that they are definitley compatable or whether I need to find out for sure which I have and buy the same brand.

: Aren't there Vanguard, Qestpex and Whirsbo types?

: Thanks,

: Kem
The manufacturer of the Pex should be stamped on the pipe somewhere.
All Pex with copper crimp rings that I have ever worked with uses the same crimping tool. Wirsbo and Rehau use a different type of connection system and different tools.
You can generally rent the crimping tool. However, someone is selling Qest 3/4 and 1/2 crimpers on e-bay for $58.00 each. I like the Qest crimpers because they are shorter and lighter than many of the others.
The Pipewench

Replies to this post