Sewer Gas Smell In New House Only During Rain
Posted by Bob Phillips on July 30, 2003 at 10:36:44:
We built a house in Greenville, NC and have lived there for less than 2 months. From the beginning we have noticed a foul odor during hard rains. It begins in the kitchen sink which is closest to the septic tank and eventually comes from the other bathrooms as well. We have one roof vent that comes out of the 3rd floor roof. It is PVC and sticks up about 2' and has a "u" shaped fitting on the end curving downward. I also noticed the other day that it was leaning to one side--from strong wind I guess. I can see the top 2 handles(I guess) of my septic tank sticking out about 1/2" above the ground. I have not been able to get grass to grow above the septic tank or in other areas. After the installation of the septic tank, I had a neighbor tell me that a delivery truck drove over my field and sank down about a foot and got stuck. I asked my contractor about it and he said he didn't think it would be a problem. I have since called the company that installed the septic tank. They told me that the tank may not have sealed yet and to give it six months to see if it would go away. I have also called the local health dept. They said it sounded like a plumbing problem with traps and vents. They could not answer why this smell only appears in the house during rain. What do you think I should do?

Replies to this post
There are none.