Re: Missing P-trap in shower
Posted by Deb on July 29, 2003 at 10:28:18:
In response to Re: Missing P-trap in shower
: Question: Our builder did not put a p-trap in thee cement under the shower. Is there another was to put a anti-siphon auto vent or MIP auto trapvent in line with the shower trap? I know the toilet has a p-trap and the plumber did put a p-trap in line with the septic tank. But we are get smells on hot days (I live in the desert)and windy days from the shower vent. The shower and kitchen sink are connected before the outside p-trap to the septic tank. Any suggestions? Our builder will not come back here again.
: Ten Bits Ranch, Terlingua Texas

No p-trap on the shower and a p-trap on the toilet are SERIOUS plumbing violations. There should also be no "outside p-trap" to the septic. I am not sure that you have evaluated your problem correctly or have an understanding of how a plumbing system works.
You say that you have smells from the shower vent--well this is part of the function of the vent. This is why vents terminate above the roof. The vent goes between the p-trap and the main line. It equalizes the pressure in the system so the p-traps do not siphon, but also sends the smells from the sewer or septic tank up and out into the open air. If the smell from a vent is a problem, a charcoal filter may be the solution.
Don't you have any permit and inspection process where you live?
Deb
The Pipewench

Replies to this post
There are none.