Re: Back-to-back closet bend replacement
Posted by hj on July 19, 2003 at 09:23:12:
In response to Re: Back-to-back closet bend replacement
Tapped closet bends have not been allowed since the 40's. You should repipe the waste system the proper way, using fittings that connect the various drains to the stack, not to the closet bends.

: I have the following arrangement in two bathrooms that I am renovating. The cast iron is around 70 years old, and one plumber suggested tearing everything out, including the stack, and replacing it. That seems a bit excessive to me, and sort of precludes me doing the work myself. So I was wondering if cast iron NEEDs to be replaced once it gets to be about 75 years old, and if not, what I can do with the two closet bends. They are back-to-back, the near one is about 15 3/4" from the studs, the far one is about 14 1/2" from the studs. The near bend has the sink drains coming in from the right, the bath drain from the left, and the far one has a shower drain coming in from the side.

: http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~abm/bath/closet_bends.jpg

: I want to replace all the waste pipes in the bathroom, but I had been planning on leaving the closet bends in, since moving them seems like a bit larger of a job. That was until I measured the rough in dimension. I could build out the wall a bit to make a shelf behind the toilet so I can use a 12" rough in. So, if I leave the closet bends in, how likely are they to fail in the next 15-20 years, if they haven't failed yet? And to connect new drain pipes I had planned on cutting the 2" drains off near the closet bend, and using Ferncos to couple in plastic drains for the bath/sinks/shower. The current drains are brass. Will I likely get pinhole leaks in the brass if I do that? I'd be a bit concerned about trying to break those pipes out of the closet bend and not ruining the threads coming out of the closet bend. Also, if I keep the closet bends, can I just chisel out the flange, and then use one of those cast iron flanges that have 4 bolts to tighten down on the bend?

: Thanks for the help!

: Andrew

Replies to this post
There are none.