Re: Well pressure leak
Posted by Gary Slusser on July 08, 2003 at 10:49:21:
In response to Re: Well pressure leak
: I have had a few plumbers come out to try and solve a pressure leak I am experiencing. The pressure drops about a lb a minute without running any water. I have had my pump replaced (aermoter), new check valve, new pvc installed (45 ft) to pump and am still experiencing a problem. Each time, pressure would hold for about a couple of weeks and then the problem would return. the thought was sediment was jamming check valve. One plumber now wants to rip up the connection from the well to my house. I am hesitant to do this (cost and the fact the pipe is under my patio and house with no basement) since if it was in the line to the house, how would the problem have been temporarily fixed twice? Any ideas?

Turn on the water and let it run until the pump comes on and then shut off the water. Once the pump stops shut off the water to the house past the pressure tank. Watch the gauge over an hour or two and if the pressure falls, the leak is between the shutoff valve and the check valve in the well. If the leak is not in the well, then it's between the well to the pressure tank. Why it quit leaking and now is doing it again is any one's guess but that's not important if there's a leak; which at times there is.

If the pressure falls when the shutoff valve is open, check toilet tank fill levels and adjust if needed and put some food coloring in the tanks and watch for the color to show up in the bowls. If it does, then the flapper valve needs to be replaced. If you don't have a toilet leak, then you could have an underslab leak and someone with leak detection experience and equipment should be called in before it gets worse.

Gary
Quality Water Assoicates

Replies to this post
There are none.