Re: rotten egg odor in cold water
Posted by Gary Slusser on June 25, 2003 at 11:08:01:
In response to Re: rotten egg odor in cold water
: I recently added a sink to my bath upstairs I also bought 2 high end american standard faucets so they would match. About a month after we started having a rooten egg smell only in the cold water on both facuets. If you run them for a coulpe minutes it temporarely subsides. My local water department insists it has something to do with the trap. I checked the trap and it is holding water, besides if I put the water in a cup and put it to your face it smells terrible. Even a day later when the cup is left out and you smell it still stinks. The scent only comes from the upstairs bath. If someone could please help I am running out of ideas. Thank you in advance for your help.

If the odor isn't chemical it will be caused by bacteria. If you have used hose rather than pipe to install the sink/faucet, bacteria probably have found a home on the interior surface of the hoses. Not that they can't do that on metal, they just do it easier on hose for some reason.

Replacing the hoses is probably the only real solution. Or another would be getting the water guys to increase their chlorine content.

Replies to this post
There are none.