Re: Reliance Water Heater
Posted by Doug on June 23, 2003 at 20:35:50:
In response to Re: Reliance Water Heater
I had this same problem with element in my previous Waterheater and had to rip out the element and clean all the sediment at the bottom of the tank. I went to the Reliance 1010 StaKleen as you have and now have a pressure relief problem and I wonder if it isn't part of an overheating problem. Don't know where you located but if you find a Pressure Relief value please let me know as I am now looking for on that fits that model.

: Thanks for the heads up. I will look into that.

: Linda

: : Linda:

: : The serial number of the tank has the manufactured date encoded in it, probably in the first 4 digits (like mmyyxxxxxxxxx), so you should not need a "proof of purchase" to make a warranty claim. I would contact Reliance and complain that you suspect that the heating elements have failed and are frozen in place. If they balk at helping you since the warranty is for the "Tank", I would point out that their "sta-kleen" feature has failed to perform as advertised and for that reason the heating elements are ruined and cannot even be removed. Maybe with a little pushy insistance, you can get the help that you need.

: : I would try replacin the TP relief valve. If the problem continues, then you have a problem with trapped water containing the expanding heating water. There is no simple solution (an expansion tank?) but since this seems to be a new problem, I would tend to more likely suspect the relief valve.

: :
: : : I have a reliance sta-kleen water heater with a lifetime tank and parts warranty.
: : : The water stopped getting hot and had my son check the elements. This water
: : : heater has a self cleaning feature that is supposed to never need draining and
: : : reduces sediment. Well, we couldn't even get the bottom element out. The
: : : sediment had basically welded it to the bottom of the tank. (so much for self cleaning).
: : : I have only had this tank for a little over 5 years. I can't find my papers that I saved
: : : showing the proof of purchase, trouble shooting guide etc. I was able to replace
: : : the top element which was covered. Now I think the temp/ preaaure relase valve is gone.
: : : I turn on the heater and 8 minutes later the water starts spraying out of the valve. If I turn
: : : it off just before it sprays I can get enough warm water out for a 2 - 3 minute shower
: : : and no more. Could the problem be the valve or maybe the thermostat? Are the 2
: : : connected in any way?

Replies to this post
There are none.