Re: Cycling well pump
Posted by PW on June 23, 2003 at 13:48:35:
In response to Re: Cycling well pump
Bill,

Were it mine I would loose the pressure switch. I'm also in the NE so to speak, Lower Slower Delaware.

PW

: PW,

: I live in the Northeast, and our pump is only for lawn irrigation. The setup consists of a Teel pump (with Dayton motor) and a Teel precharged tank. The tank is small and only seems to keep the pump primed. Some people's systems in the area do not have tanks, but most do.

: My system pumps ~11 gpm at 54#, and there are 4 heads per zone. I have put new spray nozzles in the heads to take 12 gpm per zone which helped (runs at 52#), but now the cycling has started again. I was somewhat surprised by the pressure switch, but this is my first system and did not know.

: Thanks.

: : Bill,

: : In our part of the country irrigation pumps, including lawn, are sized to run flat out, no pressure switch. Sounds like you are using a domestic well pump for irrigation. You will have to look at your irrigation system, pipe size, capacity of each head, and number of heads on a zone to see if the existing pump can have the switch bypassed.

: : PW

: : : I have a well pump that is used for irrigation only, and it has been cycling from day-one. I am not sure which is worse for the motor and/or pump: cycling (constantly going on/off) or running continuously for < 1 hour at a time.

: : : I think that cycling is worse as the pump should be able to take an hour of work without a problem. Any thoughts?

: : : Thanks!

Replies to this post