Re: main shut off knob broken
Posted by hj on June 23, 2003 at 09:53:23:
In response to Re: main shut off knob broken
The stem and knob cannot usually be replaced unless they have, or can find, a new valve exactly like that one. Otherwise, and usually a better idea, would be to change the valve. That can range from a simple minimum charge job to a major "repiping" of the valve to provide access to get the old one out and the new one installed. The conditions at your valve will determine how much it costs and we cannot tell you that without seeing the installation, and even then it is sometimes impossible to determine until the job is acutally completed.

: I was trying to turn off the water supply to the house to change a tap washer when I discovered that the knob that turns the main shut off valve to the house seems to be gone and the stem where the knob should be seems to have been snapped (judging from the ragged end).
: How much does it cost to replace the stem and knob and how is it done? I'm calling in the plumbers tomorrow and kinda need to know so I wont' get ripped off since I know nothing about plumbing, as u can tell from the terms I use.

Replies to this post
There are none.