Re: Bathroom
Posted by Ed on June 12, 2003 at 16:55:03:
In response to Re: Bathroom
Many of the home improvement and Bathroom, plumbing books you can get at the library, etc. advise against this in a bathroom, because of the moisture potential.

You mention "regular" 3/8" drywall. If you add a tub/shower it's best to install 1/2" Green board or Moisture resistant drywall. It may be the best way to start and you may pay a little more now but save a lot later (in headaches as well as moneyaches)!

The masonite is also not recommended in a full bath. A surround would be a much better option.

P.S. If you're able, you may want to prepare the
walls for tub/shower bars or rails by reinforcing the walls before installing the fixture(s).

Add 2x4 or 2x6 cross studs in the appropriate place(s) or install 3/4" plywood over the entire wall underneath the MR (moisture-resistant) drywall.

: I am putting in a plastic tub/shower unit in a remodeling job. My wife wants to glue masonite "bead board" over regular 3/8" drywall. She thinks that if we coat the outer layer with Kilz that it will be sufficiently water resistant. I am hesitant. Advice?

Replies to this post
There are none.