Re: Water Softener Constantly Draining
Posted by Gary Slusser on June 10, 2003 at 11:16:37:
In response to Re: Water Softener Constantly Draining
: : : Anyone had this problem? All of a sudden, my Kinetico Softener (10+ yrs old) is constantly draining. Doesn't seem to brine at all. I did have the system drained for a bit due to some lawn sprinkler work, but nothing else changed. At first I assumed it was just refilling the twin tanks, but an hour later it's still draining. I'm fairly handy, and would like to attempt the repairs myself. Thanks! BB1; Check out the valve (float) that controls the the amount of water to make the brine for a recharge.
: : It sometimes"sticks if there is a crud build-up in the resvoir. If that don't cure it, check out timing contact, it could be stuck on RINSE cycle. Hube

: ******
: Thanks for the quick response....I disassembled the timing unit on top, and found that all 4 valves were wide open. I cleaned them and reassembled the unit, but I didn't know which valves to leave open and which to close. Under the assumption all 4 open meant draining, I closed all 4 to see what would happen. It is still draining through the drain hose, but not nearly as much. As we speak (type/read) I am letting the water go for a few hours to see if the valves will 're-set' themselves...probably not, but thought it may save $80 service call. If not fixed by this weekend, I'll bite the bullet and call. Thought I may be able to fix it and learn something about these 'mysterious' water softeners at the same time...If you can think of which valves should be open/closed for brine or backwash, let me know.

: Thanks again...great website

Without knowing where the valves should be to start with, you can't assume something is wrong with their positions. Well yo ucan as you have but.... Changing them hasn't solved the problem and more than likely you have caused the valve to lose index. The make you have is quite complicated for anyone that doesn't know them. You probably have something dirty or a bad gasket, broken gear etc.. Fooling with it isn't going to fix it IMO, and can make things worse, which usually costs more money and aggravation. I 'fix' most makes except them, I call the local dealer and turn them over to him. I am a water treament dealer in my 15th year.

Replies to this post