Re: water pipes in new home
Posted by JS on June 07, 2003 at 00:03:17:
In response to Re: water pipes in new home
Meg:

You mentioned that there was a hot water recirculation system as well. The hot water lines, both out and back to the water heater must be very well insulated or you will have an astronomical energy bill. I worked with one home owner who's system was not properly insulated, and it added $200-$300/month to her electric bill when the system was on. Needless to say, it can be VERY expensive to fix it later.

It may be that the 1/2" line is the return line for the hot water. In that case, since it only provides a return path for the water, and not the quantities need for faucets, baths, etc., the use of 1/2" for the return may be adequate. Just a thought to check into before chewing out the plumber.

- JOhn

: I just visited our new construction site and found that the �replacement plumber� (auggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!) is putting in �" copper piping along with �" copper piping throughout the house.

: Since I have been un-able to contact this guy this evening I am hoping I may gat some valuable/helpful information from an expert plumber here!

: The hot water heater with a re-circulating pump is set off to the side of the house.
: We will be having 5 bathrooms: 2 with spas, 1 with regular tub, 3 will have separate showers - 2 of the 3 will have a �Mr. Steam�
: Laundry room has W/D, and laundry sink
: Kitchen will have 2 dishwashers, 1 main sink, 1 prep-sink and a pot filler
: Powder room will have sink and toilet. All toilets will be low-flush.

:

:

:
: Can anyone explain the advantage (other than the plumber saving money!!!) to do it this way?

: We have had a problem for years with water going cold/hot in the shower when someone either turned on a faucet, garden hose, or flushed.

: Since this is a total re-build I had hoped for/ expected �" (at least) on all copper trunk (horizontal) lines.

: Am I out-of-line on this point?

Replies to this post
There are none.