Re: leaking tub/shower "single handle" faucet
Posted by tottieirene on May 30, 2003 at 18:19:20:
In response to Re: leaking tub/shower "single handle" faucet
: Stanodyne is Moen. I do not know how tightening the handle could stop a leak, but the normal repair is to replace the core/stem.

: : Terry Love,

: : we have a leaky bathtub faucet. The splash "shield over the pull handle says "standyne" on it but it looks like moen type hardware. I've this this problem before in other homes and usually I just remove the cap over the central screw in the pull handle and tighten it and the leaking stops. But in this case that does not work. The type of hardware is the kind that is controlled by pulling a single knob to regulate water flow and turn to the left for hot and right for cold. Any advice on how to correct the problem short of calling a plumber in?

: : thanks

I have the same problem. I removed the faucet (spigot), and took it to Dixieline for a new washer. The plumbing consultant there couldn't remove the yellow, plastic "washer", so sent me home with a container of Harvey's silicone grease. He directed me to use the tip of my pinky finger, take a quantity of the silicone grease and gently coat the inner threads of the part of the faucet that screws onto the stem. I don't understand about rplacing the stem; doesn't the leak result because the "washer" doesn't seal the joint with the stem? I'm about to try the silicone grease solution. I'll post the results later.

Replies to this post