Re: Shopping for a tub
Posted by BrianF on May 19, 2003 at 12:05:26:
In response to Re: Shopping for a tub
Funny, I just replaced my tub (still remodeling the bathroom at 2 months into it now) and I like the concept of the American Standard Princeton and went out and got one. Minutes before installing it, I opened the box and noticed that the acrylic was separating from Americast foam piece inside. Probably just a defect with that one but was enough for me to spend the extra 20 for the cast iron Kohler (same one you mentioned).

I don�t want to knock them too badly because I never installed or used it. You have already proved that the cast iron last a long time. Both tubs are actually the same size just shaped differently inside. The americast does look bigger though.

Another option is to have it refinished. I looked into that too and it cost just as much as the tub and one quote was even higher. A savings though it you are not doing the walls around the tub. Since you sound like you are, I would go with a new tub.

After my bathroom taking twice as long and costing twice as much as originally planned, my best advice to you is to really plan for the unexpected. A small project can grow quickly. The reward of a nice new bathroom is unmatched though; especially knowing you did it yourself. Good luck!

: I'm getting my bath remodeled and was considering replacing my old tub, but I'm not sure whether to do it and what to replace it with, so this is a two-part inquiry.

: (1) My old tub is the original one installed when the house was build in 1956. I don't see a brand name. It's a recessed cast iron unit. Since I'm having the walls around it stripped to the studs, now's the best time to replace it. It appears to be in good shape, however. It's seen its years of scouring with abrasive cleaners, but there are no chips or deep scratches or gouges or rust and there aren't any stains. Why should I replace it? What could go wrong with it?

: (2) I'd pretty much decided that if I replace it, I'd buy the American Standard Princeton Americast tub; however, after reading the comments on Americast tubs and kitchen sinks on this forum, I'm having serious doubts. It appears that the tubs will chip and scratch and mark very easily and there may be some flex in the bottoms. So, my question is what is a good basic cast iron tub? I've looked at the Kohler Villager, but it's so small. The American Standard Princeton is about the same size as my current tub.

: I'd very much appreciate your all's advice and comments.

Replies to this post
There are none.