Re: Capacity of whirlpool tub relative to hot water heater capacity
Posted by hj on May 12, 2003 at 09:04:55:
In response to Re: Capacity of whirlpool tub relative to hot water heater capacity
Other than standby loss which is a function of external surface area, you only heat the water you use. So if you had an 80 gallon water heater, but only used 20 gallons of hot water, that is all you would heat, not the full 80 gallons. A person's water displacement depends on his size and the only way to get a true measurement is to weigh him/her in water.

: I have a 52 gal hot water heater and I'm looking at an American Standard two-person whirlpool tub with a 78 gal to overflow and a minimum operating volume of 69 gal. It seems that my hot water heater is quite inadequate for this size tub so I'm considering a smaller tub with a 59 gal to overflow and a minimum operating volume of 48 gal. I would buy a larger heater but it seems crazy to constantly heat that much water when the tub might only be used once or twice a week. I'm curious - with a person in the tub, how would you estimate the amount of water you would use? How much water does a person displace?

Replies to this post
There are none.