Re: Can I remove a leaded closet flange, or do I need a pro?
Posted by LonnythePlumber on April 30, 2003 at 21:58:08:
In response to Re: Can I remove a leaded closet flange, or do I need a pro?
: Two updates:
: 1) While searching the internet, I found a link to a product. This solution is very much like the pedestal I was going to build myself. Please check out the link I am providing. Does anyone have any feelings on this type of product?

: 2) Dave K - Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think that my flange is lead - I think it is cast iron and it is "leaded in", which I interpreted to mean that lead was jammed in between the stack pipe and the cast flange assembly. I think if I hit the flange with a mallet it will crack the way my cast iron tub did when I took that out.

: --John

:
: : Hi John...

: : I had almost the identical situation; same age house, same tile floor w/ a wire mesh, lead closet bend.

: : My intent was to re-do the flooring. When I gutted the bathroom and took out the toilet, I realized there was no closet flange; the toilet was simply bolted to the floor.

: : Rather than worry about replacing the lead closet bend with a PVC bend, I just laid down the new sub floor and new tile, and pounded the lead flange "lip" over the new tile with a mallet(the 5/8" you speak of should be soft enough to tap down over the new material). Unless your lead flange is cracked or broken, I wouldn't worrry about replacing it. As long as the new wax ring on your toilet seals up over the opening, you should be good to go.

: : Plus, if it lasted 50 years as it was, why would it not last another 50?

: : Dave K

Lead pipe is soldered to a brass closet flange with 50/50 solder. You can remove the flange by using a wood chisel to break the lead loose from the brass. You need to 'tin' the new brass flange with solder first, then secure to the floor, tap the lead over the flange lip, cut the lead to shiny, flux and solder. If you do not solder then it can leak with structure movement. If the toilet is already up I would charge $90.00 labor and material in Wichita, KS. LonnythePlumber

Replies to this post
There are none.