Re: hot water comming out of the side of the house
Posted by hj on April 27, 2003 at 00:17:43:
In response to Re: hot water comming out of the side of the house
PVC cannot be used for hot water piping, and the code for the discharge line specifies that it be full size, which is why a flexible connector is not allowed due to the reduction caused by the ridges and since CPVC is also less than "full size" it should also not be permitted.

: : If it's not the water heater relief, then you will have to get to where you can see where the pipe exits the house and trace it to it's source. Since it's PVC, it has to be a drain or vent of some kind, but as HJ stated, you don't give us very much to go on, and you will most likely have to call a plumber in to repair the problem if it is more than the relief valve.

: :
: : : I'm just guessing that it's the pressure relief from your hot water heater. Check to see if that's been tripped.

: : :
: : : : If you can see the pipe and do not know how, or why, the water is coming out of it, how do you expect us to do it from here? Call a plumber.

: : : : : after reinstalling a sink and faucet in the kitchen when I turned the water back on hot water was pouring out a pvc pipe that comes out from under my house. I can not figure out where the pipe comes from, and it makes no sense how the sink replacement could have cuased it... I desperately need help here.... Please/

: : : : : Melanie

:
: It sounds like the water heater temperature/pressure relief valve to me. I presume this is a 3/4" line. When the water was turned back on, the shock can make an old relief valve start to leak. The water is only around 120 degrees.
: There are many relief valve drains run in PVC and CPVC although their male adapter constitutes a reduction in size and are not permitted by the Uniform Plumbing Code. There are also PVC and CPVC water piping.
: Look at the piping on the side of your water heater it is probably the same pipe. The T&P relief valve can not be repaired and you will need to replace it.
: LonnythePlumber

Replies to this post
There are none.