Re: Best pipe for trap primer to floor drain?
Posted by hj on April 27, 2003 at 00:14:35:
In response to Re: Best pipe for trap primer to floor drain?
IF you are using PVC or ABS drain piping then there is an adapter that fits between the drain and the trap that has the TP opening in it. The copper is sleeved plastic or tape.

: : I disagree with hj about the use of copper under slab. Concrete eats on copper and so does some sand and soil conditions. The copper institute gives a useful life of copper that I believe is 35 years or less. I'm starting to replace copper water services about once a year.
: : Copper is the traditional method and is often specified on commercial prints. You're not putting floor drains in a wood floor are you?
: : Additionally I don't feel they have the technology good enough on these primers. I favor the lavatory drain water connection over the potable water supply source of water which requires maintenance. I don't reccommend them unless required.
: : LonnythePlumber

: This is part of my larger basement bathroom and laundry room project. I am putting a new floor drain in the basement laundry room, so the floor drain is in concrete (2" abs traped, vented and backwater protected). I am using the Zurn trap primer installed in the cold water line branch in the laundry room with a 1/2" feed to the drain. This way the trap gets water everytime the laundry tub or washer is used.

: About the only problem I have had so far is locating a 2" floor drain that has a trap primer port. All I have been able to find are the 3" cast iron industrial ones. I will end up making one from a 2" abs floor drain by drilling and tapping.

:
: Bruce

Replies to this post