Re: tub/shower faucet question
Posted by LonnythePlumber on April 23, 2003 at 23:23:36:
In response to Re: tub/shower faucet question
: When the diverter is used in a tub/shower the water has to flow out of the spout freely. Any restriction, such as additional elbows will cause the water to back up and come out of the shower head when the tub is being filled. But when I use one for just a shower, I either install it upside down and reverse the core or connections, or cap the shower opening and run the tub connection to the shower head, since that opening allows greater flow than the one dedicated to the shower riser. For your purposes you would not need a diverter, but rather a multiport transfer valve so you can turn on whichever head(s) you want.

: : I'm installing a shower stall and have been researching faucet options. I'd like to have a regular shower head as well as a "rain fall" one. I know I can buy a separate diverter to use with the 2 devices. My question, why can't I use a valve that has a diverter built into it? The installation instructions say the "tub spout" should be a straight drop with only a 90 and that you shouldn't substitute something for the tub filler. Why is that? I don't have an issue with setting it up properly. I'm just curious about the logic. Is there a "real" reason or is it so you buy another piece?

I have not noticed that there is more flow from the spout opening than from the shower although it could be true. Are you sure hj? I think you could use a single handle diverter valve to switch between the heads. hj is describing a two handle value diverter method which does allow water to come out the head when you only want the tub. Some cheap diverters will constrict too much as will excessive water pressure.I have not connected my two heads this way but it sounds like a good idea. I am getting requests for multiple shower heads.LonnythePlumber

Replies to this post