Re: Well Pressure
Posted by Gary Slusser on April 15, 2003 at 10:09:45:
In response to Re: Well Pressure
: Dear Sir,
: I have a well in my basement and it used with an above ground pump that feeds the water into a steel tank about 4 feet tall and 18 inches in diameter. The past week my water pressure has been real low, the water is not what it was. I tried to add some air to the tank using a air compressor, currenty the tank has 30psi in it.When I flush the toilet I can't hardly get any water form any other faucet. I'm not sure what the problem is,, I miss taking showers there the water actually sprays out of the shower head instead of drips. I'm fairly knowledgeable if the system, I have had to empty the take before, primed the pump and presuraized the tank before do I have to do this again? I'm not sure why this is happening, we are not in a drought this spring.

It sounds as if your tank is an air over water tank and that would allow the air to be absorbed into the water over time which requires replenishing the air somehow. Usually the tank will have an air control valve on it that allows automatic replacement of the air as water is used.

If you did not drain the tank before adding air, you won't have the proper volume of air in the tank and thereby your pump will be 'short' cycling. Meaning it comes on too often and wears the pump out while increasing your electric bill.

Normally you don't have to prime the pump when you drain the tank; but I can't see your system from here.

You would probably do well to replace the tank with a captive air precharged tank. They have separate chambers for both air and water and as long as the 'bladder' is not broken you rarely have to add air to them. You set the air pressure to 2 psi less than the cut-in pressure switch setting; 30/50 psi water and 28 psi air pressure. With no water in the tank.

You may also have a pump problem, they don't last forever and do wear as they age.

Replies to this post
There are none.