Standing water under slab
Posted by Joe on April 12, 2003 at 20:45:58:
I am buying a new house; at the home inspection I found out that there is a standing water under the slab. The home is 28 years of age. I do not see any issues when I flush any of the toilets, owner states they never had water in the basement and never had any issues with sewer.

The sewer line is dropped to the basements towards the back of the house and then goes under the slab to connect to public sewer which is at the foundation (towards front of the house). There is a clean out near the foundation and dig to access the clean out; the dig is in 4 inches of standing water. When I tapped the clean out I could see the watercolor change to rust. Inspector believes that the cast iron is probably corroded and I may see issues with the system soon.

I know it�s hard to predict w/o digging the slab but has anyone had seen similar problem in 28-year-old house? What are my chances that I may not have issues if I clear the standing water and put a system in to flush the water out using sump pump?

Additionally, there is some settling of the house on the 1st floor and 2nd floor as I can see cracks near the doorframes.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

connected to pb

Replies to this post
There are none.