Re: plumbing repair advice
Posted by hj on April 07, 2003 at 00:05:11:
In response to Re: plumbing repair advice
I would have to say that it is the "dumbest" way I could think of to try to cure the problem. First it would require reducing the size of your drain pipe from 4" to 3" which is not permitted and would be a bad idea even if it were allowed. Second, since the 3" pipe would not be sealed to the 4" the water could still leak out.

: Can you give me advice?

: First of all, I don't know plumbing lingo, so bear with me. I live in a house built in 1912. There is a leak in the main pipe that goes out of my house to connect with the public lines. After a bath, or a load of wash, water trickles down the wall in the basement below where the pipe goes into the concrete to go out of the house. The bottom of the pipe isn't wet, so I'm sure the old pipe has disintegrated somewhere between that point and where it hooks up to the public lines and the water is leaking back into the house.

: My question: A plumber proposed replacing a chunk of my 4" pipe with 3" pipe and shoving that through what remains of the 4" pipe that is leaking, like a sleeve from the inside of the house out to the clay pipe that starts, he says, about 5 or 6 feet outside of my house. Is this a viable solution? Or is it a cheaper fix that may result in other problems? There is not easy access to the pipe outside the house, a plumber would have to get through my brick patio. But I don't want to go the easy route if it's not the right way to do it.

: Thank you for any advice you can give me.
: Margaret

Replies to this post
There are none.