Re: 1939 Kohler Toilet
Posted by Paul on April 06, 2003 at 21:06:38:
In response to Re: 1939 Kohler Toilet
Hi Vicki,

I had a similiar experience with my beautiful 1940 Eljer toilet. The tank of my toilet hangs on the wall, and there is an elbow pipe that connects from the tank to the back of the toilet bowl. All of the parts had rusted out inside the tank including my fancy antique style chrome toilet lever, therefore rendering the toilet useless. What I did was I took the tank off the wall, and I pulled out all of the parts...everything! Then, I scrubbed the tank clean with Comet cleanser, and I replaced the water pump, the flush valve + flapper, and the handle with an antique style handle that was similiar to the original handle. I got these parts from my local hardware store and they fit perfectly. I did have to call a plumber to reinstall the tank on the wall as the tank brackets had rusted out and I didn't know how to replace them, and I needed to replace the pipe connecting the tank to the bowl as that too had rusted out. Only the plumber could get ahold of these parts.

It cost me probably about $200 for the parts and the plumber to come reinstall the tank, but it was well worth it because the toilet is an antique and looks great, and matches the other fixtures in the room. It is also the best working toilet in the house.

Don't get rid of your toilet. YOu'll never find one that works as good because the new water effecient toilets are junk. However, DON'T pay that rediculous amount of money to Kohler for toilet parts when regular parts will work just fine.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me. Gunnercat82@hotmail.com

Good Luck! :)

Replies to this post
There are none.