Re: 1/2 inch NPT
Posted by Terry Love on April 04, 2003 at 20:34:19:
In response to Re: 1/2 inch NPT

: My bathtub spout shows that it is 1/2 inch NPT and so is the faucet inlets and outlets. Do I simply use a 1/2 inch male adapter for these connections? I remodeled another bathroom with just a shower two years ago and I believe that is all I used for that faucet but this tub spout has about an inch of threads and the male adapter has only around half an inch so I am afraid it will bottom out before being watertight. Is their a special nipple for tub spouts or is a simple copper male adapter solder to the 1/2 inch copper from the faucet connection suffice? Also, I have heard concern about soldering to the faucet due to heat and the faucet's internals but I solder a short piece of cooper to the male adapter before I screw it in so there isn't much heat transferred to the faucet. Is this a good procedure and is there still enough heat transfer that I should remove the cartridge?

TTA,
If you are sweating pipe to a faucet, it's a good idea to remove the cartridge first.
If it has threads, you can solder a MA to pipe and thread them in.
Keep a spray bottle handy to cool the pipe after soldering.
The copper MA will work fine with the tub spout. I would guess that the MA will only go in about 3/8" into the tub spout.
I like to put the MA into the spout, (not tight
Slide the spout on and measure how much to cut off.
Remove everything, solder the MA, cool it, use teflon paste and reassemble.
It should be good.

Replies to this post
There are none.