Re: Dishwasher/Garbage Disposal drain
Posted by John on March 29, 2003 at 21:40:02:
In response to Re: Dishwasher/Garbage Disposal drain
: You got me on that one. I have never seen such a setup. If there is a place to put the dishwasher drain directly into the disposal unit I would go that way.

: Sorry I'm not more help - maybe consult a real plumber. Though it couldn't hurt to try. (at least no more water shooting up into the sink.)

: : : No it did not come with the disposal. It looks like this:

: : Sink drain extra nubin (drains into
: : l l the sink)
: : l l
: : l l
: : l / \
: : disposal -----------------/ \
: : l \
: : l dishwasher drain
: : waste hose
: : I want to take the dishwasher hose and connect it directly to the disposal input. I understand drainage and overflow, so I plan on having the dishwasher drain hose loop higher than the disposal input. Can I do this? What is this whole design/ nubbin for?

: : thanks
: :
: : : Does the Y device look like it came with the disposal (similar looking metal/plastic)? I suspect not. If you think about it, water from the sink has a 50/50 chance of going down the dishwasher hose as opposed to the garbage disposal. Is there a pipe-looking connector that is possibly capped on the existing disposal unit?

: : : Sink Drain
: : : |
: : : / \
: : : / \
: : : Disposal Dishwasher
: : : Waste

: : : Is this what it looks like?

: : : It should look like

: : : Sink Drain
: : : Garbage Disposal <- - - Dishwasher
: : : Waste

: : : Hope that helps.

: : :
: : : : My dishwasher drain does not go directly to my garbage disposal. Rather it goes up one leg of an upside down "Y" connector. The other leg of the "Y" comes down into the garbage disposal. The leg of the "Y" or hte top, goes up through the sink out onto the top where a small cap sits on top.

: : : : When run, the dishwasher drains into the "Y" which then squirts water out of the top into the sink.

: : : : Can I bypass this "Y" device and hook my dishwasher drain hose directly into the garbage disposal? WHat is the purpose of this "Y" device?
: : : : thanks

Just happened by your question and thought I could offer an explaination. That inverted "Y" thing is called an airgap. It's purpose is to prevent waste water from entering the potable water supply via your dishwasher. This can happen most often when supply lines are drained and the waste water is siphoned into the clean supply lines. The airgap is designed to allow water to flow in only one direction (from the dishwasher to the drain or disposal) If yours' is discharging out the vent holes on the sink deck it may either have an obstruction or it's connected hoses may be reversed! EEEEK

You can usually pull the chrome trim cover off by hand then possibly unscrew the crown which should provide you a visual as to whether or not it's clogged. Bypassing the airgap is bad idea and not permissible by plumbing codes.

Replies to this post
There are none.