Re: Broken Drain Pipe
Posted by Gary Swart on March 28, 2003 at 15:20:50:
In response to Re: Broken Drain Pipe
: My husband has been working on putting in a new pedestal sink in my bathroom. While installing the sink he accidently broke the drain pipe that goes into the wall. We were talking to the guy at Home Depot and he said that since our house was built in the 50's it could have leaded pipes. What is the best way to go about fixing the pipe and will leaded pipes make it more difficult to fix?

I think it is likely the drain pipe is galvanized steel which is often called lead pipe. Without seeing what you have to work with, it is impossible to give you specifics, but my thinking is to cut the pipe off so as to eliminate the broken part and replace it with PVC. The connection between the old and new would be made with a neophrene sleeve called a Fernco connector. You are probably going to have to open the wall to access the pipe to cut it off, but patching a wall isn't too big of a deal.

Replies to this post
There are none.