Re: INLINE FILTERS
Posted by Gary Slusser on March 06, 2003 at 13:53:25:
In response to Re: INLINE FILTERS
: : I would replace the galvanized line with copper. Do you also have galvy piping in the house???

:
: Yes, there is galvanized, but only the length of the basement. All of the feed lines have been tapped off into copper from what I can see. The problem being, with a finished ceiling in the basement, replacing what galvanized there is would be a considerable overhaul. To add, I can't guarantee the sediment is from line breakdown or simply my well supply. I need to resolve this problem before I replace my recently discarded water softener. Also, any knowledge on softeners? Do I need a $1500 Culligan, or is there a middle-of-the-road that would suffice? I've heard of bad luck with cheap models.

As I said, you need to know where the iron/rust is coming from and the length of the basement is substantial for galvanized pipe and an iron problem.

Part of the cause of the problem can be from dissimilar metals corrosion; your galvanized main and copper branch lines. It could be certain bacteria, like Iron Reducing Bacteria (IRB); both in the well and the galvanized pipe. It could be acidic water, or the DO and/or CO2 content or electrical grounds and/or ground electrode problems. And there are a few other causes, one is like high dissolved iron content. You need to do this before buying any softener but, water treatment dealers are the first place to look for answers to your iron problem. I sell all types of water treatment equipment as an independent dealer.

Replies to this post
There are none.